Overview: Today, we discuss how African innovation hubs are nurturing entrepreneurship, the history of CCHub / iHub and end with the business models & future of innovation hubs
Companies discussed: CcHub, iHub, Entrepreneur First, Y Combinator (YC), TechStars & Station F
Business concepts discussed: Innovation Hubs & Entrepreneurial support/financing
- (01:07) - Why innovation hubs / entrepreneur support organizations are important
- (02:45) - What are innovation hubs
- (04:37) - Different types of innovation hubs
- (15:24) - Private vs Government innovation hubs
- (18:15) - Challenges faced by innovation hubs
- (19:58) - Problems that African innovation hubs solve
- (27:10) - iHub, Kenya - founder, history, incubated startups
- (31:11) - CcHub - founder, history, incubated startups
- (40:30) - CcHub acquisition of iHub
- (43:30) - Trends across Africa’s innovation hubs
- (48:50) - Bankole’s overall thoughts and outlook
- (53:52) - Olumide’s overall thoughts and outlook
- (58:15) - Bankole and Olumide’s recommendations, small wins & open questions
Olumide’s recommendations & small wins:
- Recommendation: The Psychology of Money (by Morgan Housel): Great book about finance & decision making
- Recommendation: Reddit summary post: Great group focused on financial independence
- Recommendation: Personal Information Management Assistants: Proposes idea of PIMAs - summarizers + curators of high quality content (e.g., podcasts, articles & books)
- Small win: Played Stadia games: Spiritfarer & The Turing test
- Open question: What successful business models have you seen work well for corporate & government innovation hubs in Africa?
Bankole’s recommendations & small wins:
- Recommendations: Anatomy of a Swipe by Ahmed Siddiqui - A book about how payment systems work
- Small win: The weather got much better and I was able to resume going out on walks.
- Open question: What kind of innovation hubs would you like to see? Something like Entrepreneur First, or “traditional” hubs like ccHub?
- Other content: Invest Like the Best episode with founder of Entrepreneur First, Matt Clifford - link
- Other content: Afrilabs and Briter: Tech Hubs Report Q4 2019 - link
We’d love to hear from you. If you have feedback or just want to say hello, please email email@example.com.
All episodes at Afrobility.com