Overview: Today we’re going to talk about WealthTech & the rise of retail investing platforms in Africa. We’ll start with some context of stock market trading, review investment platforms in India & China & then dive into Africa's personal investing landscape. This episode was recorded on Feb 21, 2021.
Companies discussed: RobinHood, Zerodha, Futu, Ant Financial / AliPay, Bamboo, Chaka, Trove, Abacus, ARM Pensions, eToro, AvaTrade, Thndr, EasyEquities, RiseVest, PiggyVest & Cowrywise
Business concepts discussed: Personal finance strategy, retail investment strategy & wealth management
- (00:40) - WealthTech & InvestTech context
- (03:40) - Stock trading & Brokerages context
- (15:40) - Indian investment platforms: Zerodha
- (20:40) - Chinese investment platforms: Futu & AliPay
- (28:52) - African retail investment context
- (30:08) - Currency risks and devaluation in Africa
- (42:26) - Retail investing stories
- (50:00) - WealthTech in West Africa
- (56:20) - WealthTech in East Africa
- (1:00:15) - WealthTech in Southern & Northern Africa
- (1:15:50) - Bankole’s overall thoughts and general outlook
- (1:24:22) - Olumide’s overall thoughts and general outlook
- (1:31:15) - Recommendations and small wins
Olumide’s recommendations, small wins & open questions:
- Recommendations: How to do the things you keep avoiding: Excellent article about dealing with procrastination & Building for the Enterprise (Aaron Levie): Video about building B2B products. Insightful & funny
- Small wins: Spent time with friend’s dog & Feedly pro+: Excellent
- Other content: India Investments sub-reddit, Zerodha story: Wonderful story, inspirational and heartfelt, Stock market participation in Zimbabwe paper & PiggyVest vs CowyRise vs RiseVest comparison video
- Open question: How should retail investing apps adapt their business models in the next 1-3 years?
Bankole’s recommendations, small wins & open questions:
- Recommendations: The startling convexity of expertise & Why Explore Space?
- Small wins: FPL on a tear! Crushing all my mini-leagues :) + Visit from a good friend
- Other content: The harder you work, the luckier you get, Flash Boys & Market cap of domestic companies (% of GDP) & Contracts for Difference
- Open question: What do you think about the chances for foreign investors in African wealthtech?
If you have feedback or just want to say hello, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Join our insider mailing list where we get feedback on new episodes & find all episodes at Afrobility.com