Overview: Today, we're going to talk about Sendwave - the mobile remittances service that was acquired by WorldRemit in 2020-Aug. We start with the context of African remittances, discuss Sendwave's early history, growth, acquisition by WorldRemit & end with our overall outlook. This episode was recorded on May 2nd, 2021
Companies discussed: Sendwave (Remittances), Wave (Mobile money / Consumer FinTech), WorldRemit, Chipper Cash, Transferwise, Remitly, Western Union, MoneyGram & Safaricom
Business concepts discussed: African remittances, personal finance OS, neobanks, Market expansion entry & Consumer Fintech (WealthTech) entry strategy
- (01:15) - What is Sendwave and why we’re talking about it
- (05:10) - Global Remittances context, size and trends
- (11:30) - Remittances in Sub-Saharan Africa
- (21:00) - Sendwave founding and early history
- (25:15) - Product strategy - UX, fees, disbursement speed, integrations
- (31:12) - Fundraising - Seed, series A and expansion
- (43:20) - WorldRemit's $500M acquisition
- (49:40) - Bankole’s overall thoughts and outlook
- (58:30) - Olumide’s overall thoughts and outlook
- (1:09:38) - Recommendations and small wins
Olumide’s recommendations, small wins & open questions:
- Recommendation: Software is eating the rest of the world (By Derin Adebayo): Fabulous.
- Recommendation: The Simple Path to Wealth (JL Collins). Amazing.
- Small win: Flew to ATL to catch-up with a friend visiting. Awesome.
Bankole’s recommendations, small wins & open questions:
- Recommendation: Promising Young Woman
- Small win: Started a garden to grow vegetables
- Other content: Symplifi & Wave Mobile Money Engineering blog
We’d love to hear from you. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to share feedback or propose topics you’d like to hear.
Join our insider mailing list where we get feedback on new episodes & find all episodes at Afrobility.com