Overview: Today, we’re going to discuss Kuda Bank - the African neobank. We’ll explore the Kuda story across 6 areas:
- Neobanks in other emerging markets (Brazil & NuBank)
- African & Nigerian banking context
- Kuda's launch, early history, growth over time & fundraising
- Kuda's product & monetization strategy
- Competitive positioning, potential exit options
- Overall outlook
This episode was recorded on July 25, 2021.
Companies discussed: Kuda Bank, Nubank, Carbon, N26, Monzo, Chime, GTBank, Stanbic IBTC, Sparkle, Rubies, Monzo, Xinja, Chime & Chipper Cash
Business concepts discussed: Neobank / Challenger bank / digital bank strategy, consumer FinTech monetization strategy, consumer lending, retail banking strategy, customer segmentation strategy & low-end disruption
- (01:00) - Why we’re talking about Kuda Bank
- (05:50) - Neobanks in other emerging markets - Nubank background
- (18:30) - Africa banking background
- (26:50) - Traditional banks vs Neobanks
- (35:20) - Banking context in Nigeria; Nigeria’s banking sector
- (47:40) - Founding and early history
- (1:02:27) - Seed fundraising
- (1:11:50) - Series A fundraising
- (1:18:40) - Product strategy
- (1:26:30) - GTM & partnerships strategy
- (1:33:47) - Monetization strategy
- (1:50:16) - Competition - Neobanks, traditional banks & other FinTechs
- (2:05:00) - Potential exit options
- (2:10:29) - Olumide’s overall thoughts
- (2:18:18) - Bankole’s overall thoughts
- (2:32:35) - Recommendations & small wins
Olumide’s recommendations & small wins:
- Recommendation: What did I spend my money on after selling twitch (by Justin Kan. Fascinating conversation about wealth, managing money after a windfall, investments, private companies, exits, etc) & The Everything store (by Brad Stone) - Amazing book, amazing story. Amazing company. Favorite part is when author talks about Jeff's most famous insults. Hilarious!
- Small win: NYC trip last weekend - So much fun partying with friends.
- Other content: Monzo is “struggling"
Bankole’s recommendations & small wins:
- Recommendation: Where you are is not who you are by Ursula Burns & Justin Kan interview of Conor White-Sullivan (YouTube)
- Small win: I spent the last week in Lagos! New friends, stimulating conversations and catching up with old friends
- Other content: Kudimoney pitch at Startup Bootcamp & 2015 NYTimes article on Amazon’s work culture
We’d love to hear from you. Please email email@example.com to share feedback or propose topics you’d like to hear.
Join our insider mailing list where we get feedback on new episodes & find all episodes at Afrobility.com