Overview: Today, we’re going to talk about Pathao - the largest mobility tech platform in Bangladesh. This episode was co-hosted with Shammi Quddus and recorded on Nov 21 & Dec 5, 2021.
- (10:15) - Motorbike sharing platforms in emerging markets - GoJek
- (11:00) - Bangladesh context
- (44:40) - Pathao founding story
- (1:05:20) - Fundraising and growth
- (1:19:10) - Product & monetization strategy
- (1:49:13) - Competition & Exit options
- (2:10:30) - Overall thoughts (Bankole, Shammi & Olumide)
- (2:32:04) - Recommendation &small wins
Companies discussed: Pathao, bKash, Uber, GoJek, Shohoz, Tootle, Chalo, RC Ventures & Battery Road Digital Holdings
Business concepts discussed: Ride-sharing platforms, Transportation in emerging markets, Transportation + FinTech Super apps
Olumide’s recommendations & small wins:
- Recommendation: Mastery (George Leonard) & Derek Sivers’ wonderful article about emotions and life
- Win: Hung out with a bunch of folks at Miami Art Basel
Bankole’s recommendations & small wins:
- Recommendation: Ozumba Mbadiwe - Reekado Banks & 52 things I learned in 2021 by Tom Whitwell
- Win: First real corporate party in a while -
- Other: Nigeria highest importer of used vehicles in Africa & F-commerce: a double-edged sword
Shammi’s recommendations & small wins:
- Recommendation: Beginner’s Moonshot: Podcast on Bangladeshi tech founders (English) by Salman Hossain
- Win: Watching comedian Hassan Minhaj perform. The King’s Jester is on the road now!
- Other: Registered vehicles in Dhaka, Pathao GoJek raise and write-off, Uber launch story in Dhaka
Listeners, Operators & Investors: Email firstname.lastname@example.org, we’d love to partner or get your feedback.
All episodes on Afrobility.com