Overview: Today we’re going to talk about the potential for a Reliance Jio moment in Africa. We'll start with some context of the Reliance parent group, its telco subsidiary - Reliance Jio (& its digital services subsidiary Jio Platforms) & their impact on India. Then we'll end by discussing ways Africa can also have a Reliance Jio moment. This episode was recorded on July 26, 2020.
Companies discussed: Reliance group, Reliance Jio / Jio Platforms, Dangote Group, Remgro, Transcorp, Naspers, Safaricom / Vodacom, Transsion, América Móvil & MTN
Business concepts discussed: India Tech, vertical integration, Low pricing strategy, import substitution, Industrialization, debt financing & equity fund raising
- (00:33) - Why the Reliance Jio story is important to Africa
- (02:29) - Background on Reliance parent group - founding & IPO
- (03:50) - Reliance backward integration & expansion
- (07:20) - Similarities to African conglomerates
- (11:04) - Starting Reliance Jio Telecoms
- (13:17) - Jio impact on competition, Indian economy & consumers
- (18:55) - Jio 2020 fundraising
- (24:24) - How can we have a "Jio moment" in Africa?
- (25:47) - Western Africa candidates to create a Jio moment
- (28:27) - Southern Africa candidates to create a Jio moment
- (35:27) - Eastern Africa candidates to create a Jio moment
- (37:00) - African governments or Non-African candidates to create a Jio moment
- (42:13) - Bankole’s overall thoughts & outlook
- (46:26) - Olumide’s overall thoughts & outlook
- (50:30) - Bankole’s recommendation & small wins
- (54:18) - Olumide’s recommendation & small wins
Olumide’s recommendations & small wins:
- Recommendation: Designing your life book (by Bill Burnett & Dave Evans)
- Small win: "Earnings calls" app by Borsa Finance --> It's earnings season!
- Small win: Kuda bank --> First digital-only Nigerian bank
Bankole’s recommendations & small wins:
- Recommendation: You're Not Listening: What You're Missing and Why It Matters
- Small win: Watched football this weekend with my friends on a conference call. Potential for a unified co-watching experience product --> Have ideas? E-mail us!
We’d love to hear from you. If you have feedback, topics you’d like to hear, or just want to say hello, please email firstname.lastname@example.org